Title IX

Sexual misconduct is an issue in Irish universities just like how it is back in the States. I actually had to file a title ix report in late January due to sexual harassment from a TA in one of my economic modules (around week 03 of classes).

The reason why I filed a formal complaint was that there was only one TA in the class and grade retaliation could become a serious issue later down the line. I was proetcting myself by documenting everything that happened as well as communicating that directly to the university.

At UCD instead of a  title ix office there is a dignity & support office which handles instances of sexual misconduct, discrimination, and similar issues. Back in the U.S. there is Title IX laws however Ireland had recently enacted legislation due to a significant increase in sexual assualt reports within the past four years on college campuses. Trinity and NUI (Galway) have different procedures and offices which handles such instances. 

The Dignity and Support Office is conveniently located within the library, which also houses a variety of other essential services, including the Lifelong Access Center for accommodations and disability support, a bookstore, and more.

There are different advisors which you can meet in person or on zoom. Their office took me a while to find since you have to go through a specific set of staircases after getting to the main floor of the library but I was able to find it after looking at my email for directions on how to find their office. 

What ended up happening was that I filled a survey on UCD’s website and book an appointment, they have plenty of appointment slots and can meet with you the same day even. The survey can be filled out anonymously and is just data collection for UCD in which statistics can be used to improve program supports for those experiencing harassment, discrimination, hate speech, etc. After that I contacted the professor, because of the issue of grade retaliation (TAs do all the grading while professors lecture only and do not). My initial meeting with dignity and supports office was to discuss my options in filing a formal complaint and the advisor was quite helpful in explaining the forms. The main reason I communicated with the professor was to get ahead in regards of documentation in case of further issues and ask questions regarding my concerns about grade retaliation (as this may occur due to filing a formal complaint). 

Filing a formal complaint means all parties are notified and everyone has the right to know details such as names. A formal complaint cannot be anonymous as that is due to laws and policies within Ireland. 

It is nice that in Ireland there are standards for each step and sub-step of investigation (sexual misconduct, grade retaliation, unfair grading, plagiarism, etc.). That is why investigations may take longer however it ensures there is minimization of bias to both the complainant and alleged perpetrator.