Week 3: The Taj, Monkeys, and Feminism

This week we finished our second week of classes, and I am enjoying getting into the routine of school again. On Monday, some of us walked to the mall after class. It was a very surreal experience being in such a familiar space in an unfamiliar location. For a moment, I forgot we were in India.

On Tuesday morning we had the privilege of hearing a lecture from a self-identified queer feminist activist. I died for a moment, and then came back to life as a newly invigorated human being filled with the academic enthusiasm of a displaced gender studies major. She touched on multitudes of fascinating topics, such as gendered access to public space, sex-selective abortion and the controversial Section 377. She was funny, insightful, and obviously a very committed activist. For the first time ever, we all ate lunch in one big circle in order to crowd around her and ask more questions.

On Wednesday night I got to attend a rooftop sitar concert. One of the girls on my program is living with a family of world-renowned musicians, and we all got invited to a private concert. The rooftop location was amazing, and we got to see the sunset as we enjoyed the lovely music. The sitar playing was really interesting and unlike anything I’ve ever seen before, and very pleasant to listen to. This was a moment where I really considered the privilege of my current location.

On Friday afternoon we took the bus to Agra. The six-hour trip was made enjoyable by copious amounts of singing and storytelling, much like our last bus ride. We finally arrived at the hostel that night with empty stomachs and full bladders. After finding the washroom, we realized they were not going to serve us dinner like we had thought. (One of the many deficiencies we would discover about the hostel). So, we made the obvious choice and ordered pizza. Though I have been raised to be a pizza snob, I inhaled that Indian Domino’s like my life depended on it.

Although the hostel would definitely not pass an inspection, it was fun sleeping all in one room like we were reliving the days of slumber parties. In the morning, after scrapping our plan of visiting the Taj at sunrise, we went to the Agra Fort. It was very beautiful, and (at least for me) the atmosphere was not dampened by the rain.

After stopping for a delicious lunch, our next stop was the Taj Mahal itself. Getting onto the grounds was hectic – some of us got our notebooks taken away by security – but we all eventually made it through. I was expecting the Taj to be pretty, of course, but it turns out I was unprepared. As I walked through the arched gateway and got my first view of the palace, my jaw hit the floor. It was so huge, and so perfectly round and grand that the crowds and the obtrusive clouds of bugs didn’t even phase me. It was astoundingly impressive from the outside, and quite magical being inside where you can view the top of the tombs in which husband and wife are still buried.

After a long day at the Taj, we stopped at McDonalds for ice cream. (Our second fast food adventure of the trip). Thus, quite curiously, my first experience of ordering at McDonalds happened in India. We were quite ready for a rest at this point so we went back to our dilapidated hostel. Once we got hungry again, we went out on the streets of Agra in search of food. In a now unsurprising turn of events, the only food we could find nearby was Subway. We ate there, obviously.

In the morning, we prepared to leave and journey back to Jaipur. However, before we could depart, we got trapped in our room by monkeys. As many unsuspecting tourists have discovered, Indian monkeys are not friendly and will attack you, so we rushed to close the doors until the threat had dissipated. Once we made it safely back to the bus, our trip home was spent peacefully napping and trying not to roll onto the floor every time the bus went over a bump. When I got back to my homestay, I immediately washed off all the dirt of unknown origin that I acquired in Agra. It’s been lovely having a place to come home to, and it’s something I appreciate about the setup of the program. Now that I have taken on the role of the tourist, it’s time to be a student once again.

Until next time,

A mildly well-adjusted cross-cultural learner

Me & the Taj

Me & the Taj

12751977_1119398411405750_281999302_o

Rooftop sitar

2 thoughts on “Week 3: The Taj, Monkeys, and Feminism

1. Kira, I love your account of your adventures. You are a gripping writer. I love your observations and sharing of your experience. Thank you. Sounds like an amazing adventure!