Amina Youssef ’22, Studies how Life Survives in Extreme Environments with Biofilm Engineering at Montana State University.

My name is Amina Youssef and I am a rising senior, with a major in biology and a minor in chemistry. This summer I am working in the Center for Biofilm Engineering at Montana State University. I am interning in a laboratory that studies how life survives in extreme environments, specifically microbial life in polar and icy environments. The purpose of the lab is to document the organization of microbial communities in relation to their physical environment. The focus of the lab is to understand the role of bacteria in the global carbon cycle. As a laboratory assistant, I have been able to work underneath a Ph.D. student, Madie Willis, to develop my own project. During my first few weeks at the lab, Madie showed me a variety of laboratory techniques, including those I am now using for my personal project. For my project, I am studying snow, ice, meltwater, and soil samples from Glacier National Park to chemically characterize the different organic compounds found within each sample. I am measuring the quantity of organic carbon within each sample, as well as the quality of the organic matter. The head of the lab, Dr. Christine Foreman, Ph.D., has allowed me to develop this project to further understand how downstream ecosystems are being impacted by the melting of glacier ice. As the ice melts, organic matter that was once stored in the ice becomes incorporated into current biological systems. The amount of organic matter being mobilized may have global implications. My project will enhance my understanding of these environmental conditions and provide a deeper understanding of the role of organic matter in these icy environments. 

Two weeks ago, I went to Glacier National Park to collect samples for my project. One of the photos attached is an image from my sample collection. I collected a variety of samples, including one snow sample, two ice core samples, a glacier meltwater sample, three lake/creek samples, and three soil samples. This large range of samples is allowing me to compare the organic matter and carbon content of the glacier ice to that of its downstream ecosystem. Before an analysis of my samples could take place, I had to conduct a soil extraction. The soil extraction is a physical experiment that removes chemicals from the soil to then be measured and characterized. The soil extraction allows the soil sample to be converted into a liquid form so that the soils can be measured using the same techniques that the snow, ice, and water samples are measured with. Both the snow and ice samples were allowed to melt, allowing all samples to be liquid. This week, I have been analyzing the total organic carbon concentrations within each of my samples with the TOC Analyzer, depicted in the second image. The TOC Analyzer is a machine that converts organic molecules to carbon dioxide and then measures the carbon dioxide produced to determine the total organic carbon concentration per sample. Next week I will begin studying the organic matter contained within each sample I collected. I am really excited to start synthesizing the results of these experiments and I am very thankful for the Whitman Internship Grant for making this summer experience possible. 

Experiences like Amina’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. We are happy to be sharing blog posts from students who were supported by either a summer, fall, spring, or year-long Whitman Internship Grant at organizations, businesses, and research labs all around the world. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez

Uncategorized