First Month Part 2

Kia ora readers!

This post is a continuation of my experiences from the first month in New Zealand, so if you haven’t yet, you can read it here.

The City: 

Dunedin is a relatively small city, but there is so much to do. I plan to make another post/page with recommendations for restaurants, cafes, activities, etc., so keep an eye out for that! Overall, it’s a fairly walkable city with pretty good public transportation, but if you want to explore the amazing nature and scenery outside the city, a car is pretty much your only option (lucky for me, one of my flatmates recently acquired a car!), so I’d highly recommend befriending someone with a car. There are, however, a few gorgeous hikes that start within walking distance from campus, and others are only a short drive away.

one of my flatmates and I! (before we took the most complicated way up possible)

the view from the top of Signal Hill

Along with events on campus, there are tons of events off campus that attract many students and serve as a way to bridge the gap between the university and other residents of Dunedin. Our personal favorites are the Saturday morning farmer’s market (filled with many local vendors, including a fabulous crepe truck) and Monday night trivia at The Bog (a bar downtown that has delicious garlic bread). 

guess which team we are ;)

we’ve started taking a picture each time in this pose just to commemorate the moment :-)

Classes:

Before even deciding on a program, I knew I wanted somewhere that would offer classes that I couldn’t take at Whitman, or even at most places in the US, for that matter, and the University of Otago definitely provides that. I’m taking three classes this semester (each of which transfers to 5 Whitman credits): Māori Society, New Zealand Foreign Policy, and Biological Anthropology. I’m enjoying all of my classes so far, and I love that I get to learn about topics from different perspectives.

The grading system and course structure at Otago are a lot different than what most classes have at Whitman. At Whitman, participation is usually factored into our final grade, there are sometimes reading notes/reflection posts, there are typically multiple tests or quizzes throughout the semester, and classes are relatively small (I think my largest class so far has been about 40, but that was for an intro course). Obviously, at Otago, much larger class sizes are to be expected. My biggest lecture is around 200, and my smallest is around 50ish (something like that—I’m terrible at estimation). Something neat about classes here is that we have lectures, and then we have what are called tutorials. For tutorials, we are in a smaller group (about 10-20 people) and have discussions based on recent lectures (the vibes are kinda like Whitman classes). But if you take any sort of science class, you’ll most likely have a practical (lab) instead of a tutorial.

Attendance at tutorials and practicals is mandatory, but attendance at lectures is not…do with that what you will (note: I assume no responsibility for your actions or inactions). But if you do have to miss class for whatever reason, most lectures are recorded, so you’ll still be able to learn the material. 

In terms of grading, the final exam makes up at least 50% of your final grade, and sometimes more, depending on the course and professor. The rest of your grade will likely consist of two-ish essays/written assignments if you’re lucky. As I’m writing this, I just turned in my first major assignment for Māori Society, which is so weird to think about, considering Whitman’s semester hasn’t even started yet!

Feelings:

I’m not gonna lie– adjusting to life here has been difficult. I miss my friends and family and the general familiarity of home. I moved across the country to come to Whitman, but moving across the world is on an entirely different level of far (obviously). The first couple of weeks were particularly challenging emotionally. I’ve felt that I don’t belong here, that I’m wasting my time, and overall feelings of homesickness. But eventually, as with almost anything, the negative emotions fade, and positive ones emerge. I’ve met so many cool people and made so many amazing memories, and I know I will only meet and make more. I’m experiencing a new culture, seeing new places, and ultimately getting the opportunity to travel around an entirely different part of the world that I otherwise would not be able to do if it weren’t for studying abroad. My biggest reminder for you (and myself) is to not compare yourself to others and their experiences. Studying abroad looks completely different for every person, and the magical thing about it is that you can make it your own. Find what you love and enjoy and what brings you peace and happiness, and remember that it is perfectly okay if those things are not the same as what others feel.

a picture of sheep that makes me happy <3