Climbing in FontaineBLAH *VLOG SPECIAL*

I couldn’t figure out how to upload this video to YouTube because half of the music in it is copyrighted. Please enjoy this special “blog” post via my personal Google Drive:

Weekend in FontaineBLAH 

This vlog is sponsored by Evelyn’s tent, Celia’s “Happy Hippo”, and the manual car that got us to Fontainebleau and back. Special thanks to Gilberto [still don’t know your last name]. It’s not every day you meet someone willing to rent a car on a whim and drive two American girls all the way to Fontainebleau to touch some rock.

For those interested in climbing while studying abroad, Freiburg is definitely a destination worth considering. Nestled in the southwestern corner of Germany near the border of Switzerland and France, Freiburg provides even the laziest of climbers with quick and easy access to some of the most beautiful crags in all of Germany. There is a huge climbing community in Freiburg thanks to its close proximity to the Black Forest. You don’t even need a car to get outside and climb. You can get to a decent crag in a little under two-hours time by hopping on a regional train with your Student Semester Pass, switching to a bus, and trekking up a well-marked and managed trail. There are a wide-range of trad, sport, and multi-pitching routes to choose from in the area. Outdoor bouldering is a little harder to find in the region.

There are four different climbing gyms located within Freiburg’s city limits—two bouldering gyms (Boulderkitchen, Blockhaus) and two rope climbing gyms (Eiger Nord, DAV Kletternzetrum). I’ve tried them all out and found Boulderkitchen—though much smaller than Blockhaus—to be my favorite, as well as the cheapest of the four. Boulderkitchen is also the only climbing gym in the area that offers a decent power rack and kilter board. I’ve opted to get a monthly pass for Boulderkitchen twice now. For those of you with commitment issues, there is also the option of a day pass. Student discounts are available at every gym except DAV.

Having your own gear, or friends with gear, will save you a lot of money when climbing. Surprisingly, despite the language barrier, I have found it quite easy to make friends at the climbing gyms here. Regardless of your skillset and experience with climbing, I’m certain those that wish to climb while abroad will have no trouble finding a community here in Freiburg. Don’t be afraid to talk to people—ask questions, ask for numbers. Climb on.

One comment

1. This is fabulous! I don’t even like camping, but you made me want to be part of your expedition! Love the music, the interludes of conversation and silence….