Antiquity

Discovering ancient sites was a clear highlight in Greece. We had long days and field trips on Saturdays, but I left feeling very satisfied with the amount of time we devoted to studying Greek antiquity. 

For our second Saturday trip, we took an early bus ride to the Temple of Poseidon near the tip of the Attica peninsula. This was not only a holy temple but a fortified town and harbor for Greek warships. The location was raided and sacked over the centuries. The first temple was destroyed and a second was rebuilt on top of the older temple’s foundation. A large wall surrounded a one-street town (its foundations are still visible), a stoa (covered walkway with columns), and the temple. On a smaller hill across from the Temple of Poseidon is a less intact temple to Athena. I wish we had had more time to sit by the cliffs and watch the strikingly blue waves turn the sea.  

In a small cove between the cliffs, there are two traditional Greek tavernas serving fresh seafood and a small hotel. Our group split up between the restaurants and I ended up on the patio overlooking the cove and the temple up above. The water was dazzling and it was one of the most cinematic moments of my study abroad trip thus far. It was enchanting. So enchanting that a few people jumped into the water in their underwear! Back in Athens, our class took a field trip to the Agora, the center of political life in Athens. Only free men over eighteen could enter. It held not only temples but a courthouse, the mint (for coins), and a library. On display were the pieces of pottery with carved names that citizens used to vote. All the votes for a person were put into their bowl and if water did not leak out, meaning enough pottery plugged the bottom, they could be exiled. Under Athenian democracy, men who became too popular posed a risk to the balance of power. Therefore, they would be honorably exiled for ten years while the city took care of their business.

Hüseyin, our CYA archeology professor, gave one of his signature lectures, mixing improvisational comedy with a history lesson. Greek methodology is filled with comedic irony and drama but his lecturing style makes it even more hilarious. Athenians adopted the cult of Dionysus, the god of wine, pleasure, and almost every other indulgence. Dionysus, like many gods, was fickle and unpredictable. 

For our last field trip, Hüseyin led us on an entertaining tour of the Acropolis. The Parthenon literally means virgin and it was created to honor the goddess Athena’s virginity. That, of course, got some jokes. Athena and Poseidon fought to be the protectors of Athens. Athena won with her olive tree over Poseidon’s water spout. It was very windy so after we were released from our tour I took pictures and quickly descended the Acropolis. With the afternoon free, I rested and did a little gift shopping. I got mugs for my boyfriend and me at an adorable artists’ studio/showroom called Threesome Ceramics. (Sorry, that’s just the name!) They have beautiful handcrafted pieces and I would highly recommend them. 

Sunday = Beach day. After the Temple of Poseidon shenanigans, we were all itching to jump into the sea. A group of us grabbed Ubers to go to the “Athenian Riviera”. Vouliagmeni Beach has a snack bar, bathrooms, and sports areas about a thirty-minute ride from central Athens. For a five euro off-season entry, we had access to lounge chairs under umbrellas and an expansive beach in a protected cove. It was absolutely worth the money just to lounge in the sun like lizards and forget winter. It was in the mid-60s and getting cloudier by the minute so I jumped in the water before the weather gave me an excuse not to. After I got used to the feeling of my body going numb in the chilly water, it was really fun to be momentarily weightless in the salty Aegean.

That’s it for Greece. Next week I’ll return to my regular content on Switzerland. In fact, I’m writing this from a train dining car headed to Zurich! Thank you so much for reading if you’ve gotten this far.

Finances (Wednesday 3/9-3/15):

– 70 USD on food

– 20 USD on Ubers (about $5 per ride when split five ways)

– 60 USD on gifts

= ~150 USD ($90 covered by SIT food/Greece travel stipends)

* I wasn’t great about keeping track since most places prefer cash, not card. 

2 thoughts on “Antiquity

1. Jennifer Linskey

Love the photo of the glasses on the table juxtaposed with the water. There are a number of others I’ve really enjoyed in your blog too. You have a wonderful way of composing!

Reply